Cheera Avial / Amaranth leaves in coconut gravy


One fresh vegetable which I enjoy throughout the year are the fresh amaranth leaves. These are used in different ways in almost all the kitchens. Each and every one has their own way of preparing this amaranth.



These leaves are highly nutritious and extremely rich in anti-oxidants. They are in different colours like the red, green and purple. All have the more or less same nutritional values and turns into a tasty dish. These are similar to beets, Swiss chard and spinach. Amaranth leaves are available in the market through out the year.

Usually this avial is made with red amaranth leaves but I tried with green and the result was very inspiring. When I was newly married, I didn’t know much about cooking. You all might know from my previous posts that for each and every bit of cooking I would call my mom or my MIL for help. This dish I learnt from my friend, whom I met here and who cooks perfect Kerala dishes.

I didn’t know that a wonderful tangy and tasty curry can be made out of amaranth leaves. I believed that only thoran can be made with leaves. But my friend has introduced me to so many new Kerala dishes that I never tasted before (since I stayed in Andhra, I loved Andhra food a lot).

Here is the result.


Ingredients:
  1. Green Amaranth Leaves- 1 bunch
  2. Coconut- ½ cup
  3. Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
  4. Shallots- 2nos
  5. Green Chillies- 2nos
  6. Raw Mango (sliced)- ½ no
  7. Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
  8. Chilli powder- ½ tsp
  9. Coconut oil- 1tbsp
  10. Mustard seeds- 1tsp
  11. Curry Leaves- few

Method:
  1. Wash, drain and cut the amaranth leaves into small pieces.
  2. Cook this along with slitted green chillies, salt, raw mango pieces and turmeric powder till it becomes soft.
  3. Grind coconut, cumin seeds and shallots to coarse paste.
  4. Add this ground paste and red chilli powder to the above cooked leaves and cover the vessel with a lid and cook for few minutes.
  5. Remove the lid and mix well and cook for about 2-3 minutes and switch off the flame.
  6. In a small vessel heat oil and splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves and pour this over the above curry. Serve hot with steaming rice.

I am sending this to Kerala Kitchen, hosted by Khushi.

Ambreen of Simply Sweet and Savory has tagged me for 7 links challenge. Thank you Ambreen for giving me this opportunity, where I can share my thoughts with all my fellow bloggers.

The most beautiful post: Chocos Cookie Biscuits
I love the shape of these cookies and I think this is the most beautiful post in my blog.

The most popular post: Mixed Vegetable Cutlets
This is the most viewed post in my blog.

The post that was surprisingly successful: Black Forest Cake
Though it did not get the popularity which I expected,  those who tasted it wanted to have more and asked for the recipe. This is the most prepared dessert at home. 

The most controversial post:
I don't think I have any.

The post that did not get the attention it deserves: Rara Chicken Curry.
This was one of my favorite curry recipes, but it did not get the attention which I thought it deserves.

The most helpful post: Easy Microwave Milk Sweet- Palkova
This post is the most helpful post as this is so easy and simple to make sweet.

The post I am so proud of: Chatti pathiri / Layered Pancakes
I am so proud of this post, as I cannot believe that I made this on my own, as I thought that this is the most toughest dish and it came out perfect.


I am tagging the following fellow bloggers too.

Pratima Rao of Prats Corner
Pavitra of Dishes from my Kitchen
Nits of 4th sense cooking
Nags of Edible Garden
Sangeetha of Kothiyavunnu
Sarah of Vazhayila
Rose of Magpie Recipes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian portobello 'Babi Pangang' Recipe

Crispy braised Iberico pork collar Recipe

Pani Puri with Homemade Puris