Lentil Soup

Lentil Soup


I fear that maybe lentil soup is going to be a hard sell.  What would give me that idea?  It all started with photographing the soup.  I'm really new at all of this, photographing food especially, but I've found that a bowl full of brown is really hard to make appealing.

Then, the look on my family's faces when I told them I had just made lentil soup.  "Come on, you guys love my lentil soup!"  As far as I'm concerned, they just didn't remember how good it really was.

So, after I announced to my husband and my daughter that the forced-feeding shall commence, I presented them with the soup.  "Well, it smells amazing," said my husband.  I sat staring, feeling stymied, as they each hesitantly put spoonfuls in their mouths.  Both of them raised their eyebrows in surprise.  Maybe those memories were coming back!  "Oh wow...this is delicious!"  Well, of course it is.

Lentils are so good for you.  They are high in fiber, magnesium, iron and protein.  They are also a great source of B vitamins without the fat that comes with most sources of the B's.  Lentils can reduce inflammation in your body and provide a lot of energy.  This soup is really filling, low in fat...and it really is delicious!

Lentil Soup

3 T. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
approx. 6 sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped
1 C. dry white wine (optional)
8 C. chicken or vegetable stock, home made or low sodium
2 C. lentils, sorted and rinsed
3-4 sprigs fresh parsley
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 large bay leaves
2 large handfuls baby spinach
squeeze of fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions, celery and carrots just until the onions are soft.  Add the garlic and the sun dried tomatoes.  Continue sautéing for just a minute.

Raise the heat to high and add the white wine, if using.  Reduce for about 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the stock and the lentils.

With kitchen string, tie the parsley and thyme into a bouquet garni (basically, a bunch of herbs).  Drop the bouquet garni into the pot with the bay leaves.  Give it a stir.  Once the pot comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and continue simmering.

After one hour, check the lentils for doneness.  If you'd like them softer, they should only need another 10 minutes or so.

Remove the pot from the heat.  Fish out the bouquet garni and bay leaves and discard.

Add the handfuls of spinach, give it a stir, cover the pot and allow to sit for about 5 minutes.  Finally, squeeze a bit of lemon juice over the pot to give it a bright freshness.

Notes:

  • If you have leftover ham or ham bone, add it in one large piece along with the garlic and tomatoes.  Remove it entirely with the herbs.  The ham adds a really nice depth of flavor, but it is not necessary.
  • My family sprinkles some grated Parmesan cheese on this soup.  Just a little bit adds a nice buttery and nutty flavor.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian portobello 'Babi Pangang' Recipe

Crispy braised Iberico pork collar Recipe

Pani Puri with Homemade Puris