Back to living...

The day the power came back...thank goodness!

My Dad always seemed to find humor in my love of complaining.  Apparently, I've got a reputation for it.  With a smirk on his face, he’d ask me how this went or that went just to hear my detailed and over-dramatic stories.  He’d laugh whole-heartedly through all of my expletives.  Honestly, sometimes I played it up just to hear that laugh.  

For the past week, I’ve thought of all of the complaining I  could do once I got back online. Hurricane Sandy flew through our small part of the world, destroying property and lives.  I’ve never seen or heard anything more frightening or powerful. My family and our neighbors were without power for nine very cold days.  I’d have to say that dealing with the cold was one of the most difficult parts. Yet, knowing what others have lost, I really cannot complain.  

Sitting at my desk now in my warmed-up home, I just want to focus on the good that came from this horrible storm.  I am thankful, first and most importantly, that my family and friends are all OK.  I’m also thankful for:  my husband, who did everything he could to warm us and get us fed despite having developed bronchitis; our family and dear friends sharing a much needed meal and warming us up; my daughter’s shadow-puppet shows every night before sleeping; friends who did everything in their power to help us stay warm with firewood and a generator; hours and hours of board games and cards with my husband and daughter;  the gas station attendant who said he refused to ration gas for the people of our town until our power was restored; having the time to browse through and organize all of my old recipes; friends who sent over grilled steak and home made cookies; family who called from near and far to check in on us and worried for us; my daughter who never once complained (she obviously does not take after me); all of the old and ugly sweatshirts that I was able to layer on, four at a time; my husband looking at me wearing those ugly sweatshirts and telling me he loves me and for our dog Lola, who shared all twelve pounds of her furry warmth.  Lastly, but certainly most importantly...thanks to the linemen who came all the way from Canada to work on restoring power to our area.  I'd kiss each one of you if I could!  :D

Moving forward now...those words alone should make us thankful...I am anxious to getting back to living, sharing more recipes with you, appreciating warmth and every morsel of delicious food that passes my lips!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian portobello 'Babi Pangang' Recipe

Crispy braised Iberico pork collar Recipe

Pani Puri with Homemade Puris