Blueberry Banana Muffins

Blueberry Banana Muffins
I've attempted to bake low fat, lower sugar, healthy muffins more times than I'd ever be able to count. I've got to tell you, they've all been pretty terrible. The texture always seems kind of weird, they tend to be dry, rubbery and they lacked taste.

These were a huge surprise for me...for a few reasons. First, when I initially tasted them, kind of warm...out of the oven, I thought they were sort of dry. Disappointed again. They sat on the counter until completely cooled when my daughter came in from school. As soon as she tried one she commented on how moist it was! I just thought she was being nice. Then my husband tried one and said the same. What? I had to have another! It was moist. Really moist!

My next surprise came when I went to type out the recipe from my notes. I thought I had put three tablespoons of oil in them, but my daughter said I told her there was no added fat. So, I broke out the muffin tins and started all over again. I prepared them with no added fat at all and sure enough, they were still moist!

So, make these muffins...they are really delicious and so healthy. But promise....do not eat them until they are completely cooled!


Blueberry Banana Muffins

2 C. whole wheat flour
1 t. baking soda
1/8 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 C. apple sauce
3/4 C. firmly packed dark brown sugar
4 very ripe bananas, mashed
2 T. golden flaxseed meal (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 C. chopped walnuts (optional)
1 C. fresh or frozen blueberries
cinnamon sugar for topping if desired


Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  Line about 16 muffin tins with paper liners.  

In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients; whole wheat flour through the nutmeg. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs lightly. Add the wet ingredients through the flaxseed. Whisk a bit. Add the flour mixture and the walnuts (if using) into the large bowl. Stir with a spoon just until combined. Do not over mix. Gently fold in the blueberries.

Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full. I ended up with 16 muffins, but you may have more or less.

Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for about 18 minutes. I always check mine a few minutes early just in case.

Remove from the oven and cool in the tins for about 10 minutes, then set them on a rack until completely cooled. 

I dipped the tops in cinnamon sugar to make them pretty and to add a little sweetness.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian portobello 'Babi Pangang' Recipe

Crispy braised Iberico pork collar Recipe

Pani Puri with Homemade Puris