Maple Apple Crunchy Superfood Granola

Maple Apple Crunch Superfood Granola

Let's address what's on your mind before we even begin. Yes, I do need to hire someone to name my recipes for me. I know. But, I feel a need to include details...too many. Brevity has never been part of my character.

So, you probably remember these yummy apple chips! They were so popular! Well, we are going to take them a few steps further...into granola land! I love granola, but sometimes it's hard to find one that isn't loaded with added fats, tons of sugar or things I may not want, but really, it's just fun to make yourself! This is my take on granola, but use this method to make it your own. Add your favorites to this recipe and you'll love topping your yogurt off with it, sprinkling it on ice cream, in a bowl with some milk or by the bucketful handful as a snack!

I've added golden flax meal and chia seeds. Maybe it's superfood overkill, but I just like to sneak as much nutrition into yummy things as I can. If I had told my kids, "You should eat some golden flaxmeal or chia seeds for snack!"...you get the picture.

I use egg whites, not oil, to get that "crunch" that I love my granola to have. You know, those clusters of sweet crunchy nuttiness in those boxes of cereal. Yeah, those guys. This is like an entire box full of those! But better!



Maple Apple Crunchy Superfood Granola

1 apple, preferably organic
2 egg whites
3 C. old fashioned oats
1/4 C. golden flaxseed meal
3 T. chia seeds
1/4 C. dark brown sugar
1/2 C. pure maple syrup
1 C. chopped walnuts
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 C. dried cranberries
1/4 C. golden raisins

Special equipment:  mandolin

Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. Line 2 of your largest baking sheets with parchment.

Slice the apple on the mandolin set to the thin slice setting. Spread the slices out on one of the baking sheets and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.

When the apples have about 15 minutes left to bake, start making the granola. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy. Add the remaining ingredients up to the cinnamon and mix to combine. Spread the mixture out evenly onto the second prepared baking sheet.

Lower the baking sheet with the apples to the lower rack and place the granola on the middle rack. Bake both the apples and the granola for 45 minutes at 250 degrees.

Remove the apples from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet. Raise the oven temperature to 300 degrees, give the granola a stir, and continue to bake for another 15 minutes.

Once cool, break the apple chips up into bite size pieces.

When the granola is done, remove from the oven and let it cool on the sheet. Once completely cooled, combine the apples, cranberries, raisins and the granola. Store in air tight containers.



Notes:

  • This would be great with banana chips too from the Baked Apple and Banana Chip recipe.  
  • Don't even try to invite Aunt Jemima to this party! You really need to use pure maple syrup!
  • This granola is sweet, but not overly so. Don't alter the amount of sugar...you'll find that once you add the dried fruits the amount of sweetness is perfect.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian portobello 'Babi Pangang' Recipe

Crispy braised Iberico pork collar Recipe

Pani Puri with Homemade Puris