Mava Ghujia



Holi is one of my favorite festival. Apart from getting drenched with colored water and putting gulal on everyone, I love the food that we get to eat. When we were kids, my mom used to make different types of snacks for the festival.There were a few which she made throughout the year, but a lot of them were this festival specific. Gujiya, gajar ki kanji, aloo ke chips, aloo ke papad and papdi were only made once a year on this festival. After I got married, my mom always send me my share every year, so I never tried my hands on these things and never cared to learn the recipe. But last year, I tried them with my mothers guidance on phone and got them perfect. I always thought, making gujiya is a tedious and difficult process, but after making these, I can bet any novice cook can try them and get a good result. I posted  this recipe on my other blog Whiskaffair last year, but sharing it here too. Go ahead and give this recipe a try. Here it is.



All you need is

For the dough

All purpose flour\ maida- 4 cups
Ghee\ clarified butter- 1 cup ( melted )

For the filling

Khoya- 200 gm
Grated dry coconut- 2 cups
Chironji-1\2 cup
Raisins-1\2 cup ( chopped )
Caster sugar\ bura-200 gm
Cardamom powder-2 tsp

For sealant

All purpose flour\ maida-2 tbsp
Water- 2 tbsp

Ghee for frying



Method of preparation

For the dough

Mix melted ghee with all purpose flour and rub with your palms.
Knead a soft dough using water.
Cover and keep aside.

For the filling

Break the khoya into small pieces and fry till pinkish in color.
Let it cool and then add grated coconut, chironji, raisins, caster sugar and cardamom powder.
Mix well.

For sealant

Mix all purpose flour and water in a bowl.

To make gujhiya

Knead the dough for a minute.
Divide it into 40 pieces.
Roll  each piece into a 4 inch disc.
Keep the rolled disc in a plate covered with damp cloth.
While rolling the dough, keep the remaining dough covered.
Keep the rolled disc in the gujhiya mold and fill it with 1 and 1\2 tsp of filling.
Apply the sealant on the borders and press the mold.
Remove the extra dough from around.
Remove the gujhiya from the mold and store in a plate covered with damp cloth.
Make all the gujhiyas in the same way.
Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
Deep fry the gujhiyas on medium flame till lightly browned.
Let the gujhiyas cool before storing them in a airtight container.
Finish within a week.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian portobello 'Babi Pangang' Recipe

Crispy braised Iberico pork collar Recipe

Pani Puri with Homemade Puris