Guiltless Lemon Cupcakes

Guiltless Lemon Cupcake

I love cupcakes. I wish I could tell you that I love them because they are the perfect size and that eating one of them satisfies my sweet tooth. I can't say that. I don't eat just one. So, to minimize the guilt of eating several two cupcakes, I created these. They are just a bit healthier because they are made mainly with whole wheat flour and these are lower in fat and sugar than a regular cupcake. Still, they are moist and light and very lemony! So, pucker up, have a couple of cupcakes and feel guiltlessly rewarded!






Guiltless Lemon Cupcakes

1 1/2 C. whole wheat pastry flour
1 C. all purpose flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
2 eggs
1 C. sugar
1/2 C. almond milk
1/2 C. vanilla yogurt
1/4 C. canola oil
1 t. vanilla extract
2 T. lemon juice
zest of half of a lemon

Glaze

1 1/2 C. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. almond milk
zest of the other half of a lemon


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with 15 liners.

In a small bowl, whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt to combine. 

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until fluffy then add the remaining ingredients and whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture and gently whisk until incorporated, but do not over-mix.

Using a 1/4 C. measuring cup, fill the cupcake liners. I like to fill them about 3/4 full. You may get more than 15 cupcakes if you fill them a bit less.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. 

Allow to cool in the tins for just a minute, then cool completely on a wire rack before glazing.

In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the glaze and mix well. I like to just dunk my cupcakes into the glaze, but you can certainly just drizzle it on if you want. If you plan to drizzle, you actually may just need about half of the recipe. This makes a lot of glaze for good reason...I like to double dip!  I know, I know. Your Mom probably taught you that double dipping is gross. It is. This time...you have permission. After the first layer of glaze has had a few moments to dry, dip each cupcake again to make them extra glaze-y!


Notes:

  • When measuring flour for cakes, muffins and bread, use a whisk to fluff up your flour before measuring. It will give you a more accurate measurement and you'll have a lighter end result.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegetarian portobello 'Babi Pangang' Recipe

Crispy braised Iberico pork collar Recipe

Pani Puri with Homemade Puris